[Zope-dev] Re: Interest in "AdvancedQuery" and/or "ManagableIndex"?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Feb 3 13:13:57 EST 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Dieter Maurer wrote:
>> Whit ("mailto:d.w.morriss at gmail.com") reported that "AdvancedQuery"
>> is going to ship with Plone3 and that packaging would be easier for them if
>> "AdvancedQuery" were part of the Zope 2 distribution.
>
> I fail to find an explanation *why* that is.

I'm not quite sure it has to be part of Zope 2 as you install it. Having
it in svn.zope.org would go a long, way, though, allowing us to use
svn:externals during development and potentially fix issues ourselves as
appropriate.

>> According to Whit, Alexander Limi seems to be interested to have
>> "Managable Index" in the Zope 2 distribution, as well.
>
> Again, why?

Probably similar reasoning as above. Note that Plone does not at this
time depend on Managable Index, though I know some Plone developers who
are enthusiastic about it.

> * Plone is shipping with lots of products already, I don't see why it
> simply can't ship with another one. Seriously, why? Plus, if they're
> really trying to solve problems for Plone 3, then it seems to be too
> late already. The target platform, Zope 2.10, is feature-frozen since long.

We will ship with this. I think the original point that made us nervous
is having to get tarballs from dieter.handshake.de, and not having a
access to a repository.

Whether it ships with Zope or not will probably depend on how valuable
people find it. I've not used it myself, but it sounds like it makes the
catalog a bit more powerful and usable.

> It might not be a popular opinion in Zope 2 land where people would like
> to have as much working out of the box as possible, but I think we
> oughta think about making Zope 2 rather smaller than bigger (where
> "smaller" doesn't mean "ship with less stuff" but "have fewer
> inter-dependencies" so that it's better reusable). An Egg-based
> deployment mechanism with explicitly defined dependencies will allow us
> to do so.

I completely agree with this. On the other hand, as Andreas points out,
if we are monkey patching ZCatalog to address deficiencies, then there
may be reasons for tighter integration.

I think the first step is to move it to the repository and let the
community prod it a little.

Martin