[Zope-dev] Re: ploneout - Or how using zc.buildout for a common Zope2 project might look like

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Tue Jan 16 18:02:10 EST 2007

Hi,

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I only caught this message earlier today, but this is really cool! It's
> really nice to see some zope 2 recipes and I hope they indeed will end
> up on svn.zope.org soon!

I have sent my contributer agreement per snail-mail last week to Zope
Corp. so it might turn up on somebody's desk in the next days. Then I'll
move those recipes...

> Your workingenv recipe sounds very interesting and I should try this
> soon. Does it allow easy_install to be used as well? If so, what does
> that mean (do paths get updated?)

All it does is to call workingenv itself on the created Zope instance
(any folder really). You get the usual activate script you need to run
to enable the workingenv and let easy_install install into the
workingenv. If this should turn out to be a good way we would want to
activate the workingenv in some scripts automatically, like zopectl for
instance.

In addition to supporting workingenv's requirements option (a file with
a list of dependencies) I also implemented a simple option to let it
call setup.py develop on a number of specified packages, so these get
installed into the workingenv as well.

Note however that I did not understand how to effectively use buildout's
system of eggs and develop-eggs, so this might be a duplicated effort.
My use case here was to get 19 Python packages from SVN (which aren't
released in any way) and use those as a SVN checkout, but include them
into the Zope instance in development mode, so I can still work with my
SVN checkout as I do now, but have those packages available in the
instance with all their egg information like entrypoints.

> I'll be playing with these recipes first excuse I get. :)

That would be great. Those recipes need a definitive review by someone
who knows more about buildout. I felt like I was fighting against
buildout in some places. All I wanted to get is a running Plone
development environment which includes real eggs in development mode,
rather then just dumping in the packages without any egg information
like we currently do.

These recipes are currently more of a (working) prototype right now, to
let us explore buildouts capabilities in a real complex situation and to
get some interested (Plone) folks to try it and provide feedback.

Hanno