[Zope-dev] RFC: Acquisition and __parent__ pointers

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Jan 23 19:02:23 EST 2007

This proposal aims at bringing Zope 2 a bit closer to Zope 3 by making
the widely used Acquisition API aware of Zope 3's __parent__ pointers.
This will alleviate the need of using Acquisition base classes in Zope 2
for every security-sensitive object, be it persistent or just a
dynamically looked up component such as a view. The goal is to enable
the use of Zope 3 components in Zope 2 straight away without creating
subclasses that mix in Acquisition for security's sake.

See http://wiki.zope.org/zope2/AcquisitionAndParentPointers for the full
proposal. Comments are appreciated. I expect little resistance to this
as it pretty much doesn't change any existing semantics and just makes
all of our lives much simpler. Also, if it helps, this has been blessed
by Jim in discussion at the EuroPython 2006 sprint.

As for the implementation, I gave it my best shot in the
philikon-aq-and-__parent__ branch. My experience with C is limited,
especially when it comes to debugging. Help is therefore highly
appreciated. There's a reward waiting for whoever fixes the problem and
helps getting the branch merged to the trunk (see the proposal text).

:)

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5