[Zope-dev] Re: ploneout - Or how using zc.buildout for a common Zope2 project might look like

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Sun Jan 28 15:07:10 EST 2007

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> This thread is getting rather long... :)

But except for the interaction of workingenv and buildout, which I'm not
smart enough to say anything useful about, we are almost finished ;)

>   - There is a 2.5 branch of ploneout
> (http://svn.plone.org/svn/ploneout/branches/2.5) which pulls down
>             Plone 2.5's tarballs. This is possibly less useful at the
> moment, more as an experiment, because it doesn't really set you up for
> developing Plone 2.5's code (for that, we should use svn:externals
> similarly to ploneout trunk).

I changed the branch to correspond to the usual Plone 2.5 core
development setup.

> For other projects, you can re-use the z2c.recipe.* recipes or any other
> recipes. Recipes are just eggs being loaded with entry points. They are
> also fairly easy to write once you've seen an example.

Meanwhile all the recipes have releases on the cheeseshop, so you can
play around with them. They lack any documentation expect the example
used in ploneout so far, but I'll fix that soon ;)

Among the new features that I implemented this weekend is one inspired
by Gocept's zope3instance recipe. The zope2instance recipe will create a
script in the buildout root bin folder now, that acts as a simple
wrapper around zopectl. So you can run everything from "./bin/instance
test -s Products.MyProduct" to "./bin/instance start" from the buildout
root without having to go down into parts.

I changed the test command a bit in that script though. It will now
automatically put all activated eggs and Products on the test path, so
you can run tests in eggs (managed by buildout) without having to
specify --test-path manually, which I found extremely annoying as of late.

Just as a side note, I found the recipes to be stable and feature-rich
enough to dump my old development setup and use the ploneout trunk and
2.5 branch instead ;)

Hanno