[Zope-dev] Re: ploneout - Or how using zc.buildout for a common Zope2 project might look like

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Jan 28 17:11:22 EST 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>>> The first step to compatibility is deciding what it means. :)
>>> I'm all in favor of workingenv/buildout compatibility.
>>> I'd like to see some specifics of how people would like
>>> to use workingenv amd buildout together.  I have some guesses,
>>> but I'd rather hear people say what they want to do.
>>> I think this would be much more useful than a discussion
>>> of implementation details at this point.  Once we know what
>>> we want the end result to be, I'm sure you and I can work out
>>> some implementation that makes sense.
>> I agree, and I find myself a bit confused by this orientation as well.
>>
>> The main use case I could imagine wanting to solve would be that I'd
>> like to run 'python' inside zc.buildout and have an interactive prompt
>> that had all the eggs that zc.buildout knew about available. That is,
>> I'd like to be able to do "from zope.interface import ..." and so on.
>
> As I mentioned before, this is already supported:
>
>    [buildout]
>    parts = ... foo ...
>
>    [foo]
>    recipe=zc.recipe.egg
>    eggs = egg1 egg2 ...
>    interpreter = mypy
>
> After running the buildout, you will have bin/mypy.

Oh, didn't see that. That's cool! :)

> If you run bin/mypy, then you'll get a Python prompt and you can import
> and use anything provided by the listed eggs and their dependencies.

I guess this wouldn't work for Zope's packages in
${SOFTWARE_HOME}/lib/python because they're not eggs known to buildout,
but I could add that to my path manually (and when all of Zope is eggs...)

> You can also do:
>
>    bin/mypy somescript args
>
> and run the script somescript with the given arguments and it
> will have the path set up for it.
>
> One wart is that any scripts defined by the eggs will be installed
> too when you run the buildout, which you may or may not want. There's
> a way to suppress this but I should probably add a dedicated interpreter
> recipe that just creates an interpreter.

At least if it was optional to install the eggs' script, that'd be nice.
I guess it won't do much harm if the eggs install their scripts, though.

Martin