[Zope-dev] Re: State of the philikon-aq-and-__parent__ branch

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Jun 20 05:42:26 EDT 2007

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> as some of you may have noticed I worked a bit more on philikon's branch
> which makes Acquisition and in return the Zope2 security machinery aware
> of __parent__ pointers.

Yay, thanks Hanno!

> As I won't have much time to work on this anymore, I would encourage all
> of you to take a look at the branch and help in finishing it.

I would like to review this branch myself. Actually, I want to branch
the current Zope 2 trunk again and reapply each change, mostly because I
stupidly changed the formatting of the Acquisition C code which was
completely unnecessary. Also, I want to get a better understanding of
all the changes that have now accumulated over the past months.

I hope to be able to do this soonish. Once this is done, we can also
test CMF, Plone, ... on that branch because it's much newer. In order to
be able to get a good comparison, they should run fine on a Zope 2 trunk
in the first place which might take some time to sort out anyway.

> What's left to do is the fun part of ripping apart Five and removing as
> much Acquisition mix-in classes from it as possible. After that many
> Five constructs should actually be identical to their Zope3 counterparts
> and thus can be deprecated.

... or just left around indefinitely and simply discouraged. It's not
like they're going to hurt anybody. Also, it might be wise to leave some
of them around for a while. I bet there's tons of code out there that
relies on being able to call __of__ on Five browser views or relies on
their ExtensionClass semantics.