[Zope-dev] Re: Zope on Python 2.5?

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Thu Nov 1 01:18:18 EDT 2007

--On 31. Oktober 2007 22:00:46 -0700 Alexander Limi <limi at plone.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:29:36 -0700, Andreas Jung <lists at zopyx.com> wrote:
>
>> The recommendation is still "System python is evil, evil, evil" (quoting
>> Jim).
>
> Sure, but if you ever want to be able to tell users to do:
>
> easy_install plone

Would be fine  but as long as several distros contain brain-dead or
castrated Python installations there is little we can do - even if we would
support
Python 2.5.

> to get their Plone site, it's a necessary evil evil evil. ;)
>

> We generally encourage not to use the system Python in everything we ship
> (Windows, Mac and Unified installers all ship their own Python) — but I
> really hope we won't be stuck with Python 2.4 after the world has moved
> on to Python 2.5 and 2.6.

Bring the word to the Python packagers.

> I agree that for proper deployments, you shouldn't use the system Python,
> but there's the case of letting people get started with Plone easily from
> their Ubuntu or Mac OS X (Leopard ships with Python 2.5 and easy_install
> by default) — we should be able to let them do that too.

See above. Stepping forward with Python 2.5/2.6 support would be fine but
it basically does not solve the problem that system python installation are
often broken. Installation a Python from the sources is usually much more
faster than trying to figure out why a system python is broken once more.