[Zope-dev] Re: [Checkins] SVN: zope.app.securitypolicy/trunk/setup.py This package doesn't just work with any versin of zope.i18nmessageid, it needs

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Nov 9 22:53:37 EST 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
[snip]
> Only the '==' qualifier in setup.py is a bad idea because it locks you
> down. Other qualifiers are actually quite necessary sometimes.

Agreed.

In addition hopefully at some point we'll get 'or' support, so you can
use == again:

zope.i18nmessageid >= 3.4.2 or zope.i18nmessageid == 3.4.2

A tool like buildout can then choose to pick the more specific version
indicators if there is nothing else overriding it.

This would solve a ton of problems we're currently trying to use
external indexes for (either Grok's list or KGS). Once this is in place,
the only use for an external package index would be to make sure no
releases are ever deleted, or changed without updating the version number.

I know I sound like a broken record on this, but fixing versions in
indexes is really the wrong place: the version requirements should be in
the releases themselves. Any index approach will need as many indexes as
there are frameworks and applications. There just needs to be a way to
override them from outer dependencies.

Regards,

Martijn