[Zope-dev] Re: why external version indexes don't fulfill all use cases for development

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 03:02:09 EST 2007

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote at 2007-11-14 09:14 +0000:
>>> I wasn't literally referring to a "transaction", in the ZODB sense -- I
>>> meant, "install using a separate run of easy_install'.
>> Unless I'm missing something, that seems... sub-optimal.
>>
>> So I have to do easy_install package x, edit a config file, then
>> easy_install package y, rinse and repeat?!
>
> A call with different options is sufficient....

That still seems a bit ropey...

Have all the things that have lead to buildout/kgs/etc been brought to
the attention of the distutils sig? This *must* be a problem that all
decent sized python frameworks are facing.

How are other communities solving this problems?

What's the "standard" way of solving this problem in the python world?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk