[Zope-dev] Re: buildout "tests_require" analogue

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Nov 15 13:02:17 EST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 12:44 PM, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote at 2007-11-15 10:28 -0500:
>> Agreed. I'll note that there is a school of thought that I proposed
>> but am somewhat ambivalent about that anything required by tests
>> should also be required by install. This is in accordance with "fly
>> what you test, test what you fly."  To the degree that we do this,
>> then there is no need for tests_require.
>
> "AdvancedQuery" is a counter example to that.
>
>  "AdvancedQuery" is willing to be used with almost all indexes.
>  Thus, "install_requires" should not require any special indexes.
>
>  But, "AdvancedQuery" can better work with "Managable Indexes"
>  and, then, provides more features.
>  Therefore, its test suite uses "Managable Index" and examines
>  the "more freatures".

ALso, often the set of dependencies required by the tests are larger
than the set of dependencies required for the distribution to be
useful at installation time.  E.g. in one of my distributions, I ship
a set of ZCML declaration definitions, and my tests need to test it,
and thus the tests need some ZCML package support to run.  But the
distribution doesn't actually itself need the same ZCML support
packages to run, it just needs it to test that, were someone to use
the ZCML declaration stuff I've created, it would work.

- C