[Zope-dev] Zope without Zope

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Nov 15 21:38:27 EST 2007

Hi all,

For fun, I just tried to make use of adapters and utilities, registered
with ZCML, in a Pylons application.

I installed Pylons in a virtualenv, and easy_installed zope.component
and zope.interface using the KGS index for 3.4. I used
zope.configuration (also installed) to load a site.zcml, which currently
just has:

	<configure xmlns="http://namespaces.zope.org/zope">
    		<include package="zope.component" file="meta.zcml" />
	</configure>

That doesn't work - it complains about not finding zope.security.zcml.

Then I tried to easy_install zope.security, but this pulled in most of
Zope, including the ZODB, ZConfig and zdaemon. That's a real shame - no
CA (at least not with ZCML) without having pretty much all of Zope there. :(

Actually, I never got to try it further, because this then died with:

Installed
/Users/optilude/Development/Pylons/zylons/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ZConfig-2.5-py2.4.egg
error: Installed distribution zope.traversing 3.4.0 conflicts with
requirement zope.traversing>=3.5.0a1.dev-r78730

Are the Zope eggs ready for prime time? Maybe I should be doing it
differently?

I'm curious about how to go about this, since it seems like an
incredibly useful thing to be able to do: Make use of the CA in a
non-Zope Python application. :)

Help appreciated!

Martin