[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-Users] Re: KGS Site Updated

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Nov 19 16:01:50 EST 2007

On Nov 19, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> On Nov 19, 2007, at 9:54 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
>>> It's a limitation of buildout, perhaps.  It is possible to use
>>> setuptools with multiple indexes:  'compoze' allows spelling
>>> multiple
>>> '-index-url' items on the command line.  E.g.::
>>
>> I'm curious what API you're using.
>>
>> buildout uses setuptools.package_index.PackageIndex.  This only
>> accepts a single index URL.  Of course, I could create multiple index
>> instances, use each one and merge the results.  Is that what you're
>> doing?
>
> Yes.

Hm, OK.  Does this let you search multiple indexes for the same
package? I assume so.

I consider this to me moving beyond setuptools.  I'm not saying that
this is necessarily bad.

> I imagine it would be pretty simple to add a per-package override to
> buildout.cfg which caused a separate index to be used to fetch a given
> distribution.

You can already do this with the egg recipe:

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.recipe.egg#detailed-documentation

This still only lets you search a single index when looking for a
distributions to use to satisfy a set of requirements.

buildout could be expanded to search multiple indexes, using the
technique you seem to be using in compoze.  This makes me uneasy as it
seem to be moving far beyond easy_install, if not setuptools. It is my
goal that buildout be "compatible" with easy install, in some sense.

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation