[Zope-dev] Re: zcml entry points

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Oct 18 10:29:16 EDT 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Tres Seaver wrote:
> I may not *want* the other package's ZCML to be loaded:  some of its
> policies may not be appropriate for my application.  I think that the
> "library" vs. "pluggable application" distinction is valid here:
> maybe
> you want to define an entry point in the egg which a given
> pluggable app
> would use at startup time to configure all the plugins which exposed
> that entry point.

This probably an indication that there are two (I know, that horrible
number) types of packages:

  - packages which provide zcml sugar in the form of new directive
definitions

  - packages which perform component registrations

It seems that packages which do only the former could be classified
as a "true" library while the latter is more application-y.  It seems
like in a perfect world, libraries should not need any
configure.zcml, just a meta.zcml which contains little except meta
directives.

Personally I think it would be more useful to remove policy-laden
registrations from existing packages so they're more libraryish and
move these registrations into "site.zcml" (or an entry point moral
equivalent) than it would be to attempt to annoint the status quo as
the right thing by implementing dependency graph traversal.

- C