[Zope-dev] Re: zope.app.error 3.5.1 not listed on distribution list

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Oct 18 17:02:24 EDT 2007

Uli Fouquet wrote:
> during grok development we recently experienced some trouble with the
> zope.app.error package. We distribute the list on
> `http://download.zope.org/distribution` as sources list for grokproject,
> so that projects created with that tool, by default lookup this list for
> available eggs/packages.

Actually, what happens is that buildout/setuptools will go there for
*extra* links. It will always go to the package index first.

> On this list the 3.5.1 release of zope.app.error is missing (older
> releases are available), which makes projects created with grokproject
> using an older release of zope.app.error, which in turn leads to errors.
> A bit annoying.

This can't be the reason for buildout using an older version. buildout
should by default go to the simple PyPI index, which clearly has
zope.app.error 3.5.1 http://pypi.python.org/simple/zope.app.error.

> To understand the sources lookup process better, I would like to know:
>
> Is there a special reason, why zope.app.error 3.5.1 is not listed on the
> above distribution list (while older versions are listed)?

I don't think we should continue uploading stuff to
http://download.zope.org/distribution.

> What is the recommended sources list for looking up zope eggs during
> buildout, anyway?

I wish we wouldn't have to specify http://download.zope.org/distribution
at all in our buildout.cfg. I think we're close to this point.

> There is at least also the `ppix` 'listing' on
> download.zope.org (which already provides zope.app.error 3.5.1). What's
> the difference in terms of completeness and up-to-dateness of listed
> packages?

http://download.zope.org/distribution is just a flat directory that svn
committers can upload files to. It's used by buildout/setuptools as a
"find-links" parameters. ppix is a *package index*, a mirror of the
simple PyPI index to be precise.