[Zope-dev] Re: [Plone-developers] zcml entry points

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 07:40:27 EDT 2007

On 10/20/07, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> I'd say it is a general concern of a framework to try to avoid how often
> you need to repeat yourself. Right now you to use a Zope 3 package you
> need to do the following things:
>
> * list the egg in your setup.py dependencies
>
> * load the ZCML required
>
> * import it in your code

True. But they do different things.

1. Says "download and install a component"
2. Says "configure a component"
3. Says "use a component"

Or something like that.

I must say I kinda prefer the method of including the ZCML from the
application zcml, where it is used, than having it magically included
by buildout just because it was downloaded and installed. This mainly
because if I write a module that requires foo.bar.frotz to have it's
zcml included, I think it's the job of my module to include it, not a
separate buildout.

But I see your point as well, and maybe there could be made a
difference in the buildout between modules to just be installed and
modules to be installed and configured?

http://www.colliberty.com/
+33 661 58 14 64