[Zope-dev] Re: zcml entry points

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Oct 22 10:44:48 EDT 2007

Hey,

On 10/20/07, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
[snip]
> Zope 2 had (for products) all three things together.
>
> It was felt that this was a too tight coupling. Therefore, for Zope 3
> the paradigma "explicit is better than implicit" (a paradigma, that I
> personally dislike and find wrong) was used.
>
> Now, you want again more things to happen implicitly.
> In my view, this is natural -- but not in the Zope 3 spirit...

Sure, but while I fully acknowledge problems with the Zope 2 approach,
in my view we've gone a bit overboard at times with the Zope 3 spirit.
:)

There is value in thinking about compact expression. The great benefit
with Zope 3 is that we frequently actually *know* the aspects of what
we want to express compactly, as we tend to be expressing these
aspects separately.

I hope we can foster a spirit where after we have factored out the
independent aspects we can look at them again and make their
expression more compact, at least for whatever we determine is a
common case.

Regards,

Martijn