[Zope-dev] Re: Mixing recipes (zc.recipe.cmmi reuse)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Sep 24 15:53:07 EDT 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 6:25 PM, Sidnei da Silva wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Not sure this is the right list, but let's give it a try.
>
> I would like to use the 'patches' functionality from zc.recipe.cmmi
> together with other recipes. I believe this is useful functionality
> and is interesting to all sorts of recipes, not only to cmmi-based
> ones.
>
> So the question is, does the zc.buildout architecture support reusing
> options from a recipe on other recipes?

It is just Python.  Buildout doesn't provide any support fro this
because it isn't really needed.

> Or would it require the recipe
> writer to explicitly 'subclass' (?) cmmi to get patch functionality?

I prefer composition. A number of recipes reuse the egg recipe
through composition.

Generally, an egg will need to explicitly provide a Python API for
other eggs. See, for example, http://pypi.python.org/pypi/
zc.recipe.egg/1.0.0b6#egg-recipe-api-for-other-recipes

> Or even, would a 'post-fetch'/'pre-build' generalization be desired,
> 'patch' being one such application?

I have no idea what that is. :)

Jim

--