[Zope-dev] Re: Zope.org, and thus Zope itself, is in trouble

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Sep 29 14:30:50 EDT 2007

Hi Greg,

> I think Zope is in serious trouble and the Zope.org web site is badly
> in need of attention.  I started using zope in 2001 at Xerox PARC and
> the helpful and persuasive resources at zope.org were a major
> factor.  Today, zope.org is full of dead links and it very hard to
> use unless you are already experienced.  Consequently, getting
> started with Zope today is harder now than is was, even though the
> actual software is better.
>
> A key factor is that based on the zope.org web site it is not
> apparent whether the community is healthy or not, and the general
> impression is that the project is stalled since so many links are
> dead and defunct.  How can the decay in the key zope web site have
> gotten so bad?  (In  fact I am not so sure myself of the zope
> community health any longer, despite the ongoing zope postings here
> --  I hope I will find I'm wrong in this regard at least).

I think this has something to do with what kind of people Zope and the
Zope community attracts. They are not really web designers or graphics
people or content gardeners.

> Also, let's not get distracted by Google and/or all the other places
> to find zope stuff.  The fact is, Zope.org is the de facto primary
> destination especially for newbies.  If it's in bad shape it directly
> impacts Zope uptake and usage.

I couldn't agree more. The good news is that several people (who's
opinion matters more than my own) also agree. Now that the Zope
Foundation exists, there is a mandate and a bit more room to manoeuvre.
No-one has a lot of spare time to devote to it, but it's moving up
various people's to-do lists. The situation may not be as dire as it is
now for too long.

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress