[Zope-dev] Re: Let's fix the damned website

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Apr 5 18:53:06 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Kent Tenney wrote:
>> Look at Sphinx for providing brilliant access to ReST doc.
>> http://sphinx.pocoo.org/
>
> I think looking at Sphinx is definitely a worthwhile effort. That said,
> I agree with Martin that we shouldn't let the new website effort be held
> up by (or distracted by) technological fixes. Let's focus on
> introduction texts primarily, at least to get the initial website in the
> air.
>
> If people want to explore how Sphinx can be used to publish more
> technical documentation about Zope 3, I think this would be a very good
> effort, though. Perhaps start with a smaller Zope packages, such as
> zope.component, and see how it goes. The hard part will remain the
> actual writing of the content.

Also, the main zope.org site may not be the best UI for browsing and
searching API documentation. Sun has a separate design for Javadocs on
its site; Python has a separate layout for its documentation on
python.org. Having an api.zope.org that's generated using a different
toolset, which we link to when necessary, is probably better for the end
user and easier for us to maintain.

Martin