[Zope-dev] Re: Five and browser-oriented components

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Apr 10 15:55:50 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Technically, I think that this is going to be hard. You'd need to patch
> in the magic acquisition base class. Acquisition is the main reason that
> some of the code needed to be duplicated - without the existence of
> acquisition wrappers, security checks are not made for view access and
> things just won't work.

I think if we could finish the philikon-aq_parent branch (or whatever
it's called) that makes it possible to do acquisition using __parent__
pointers, we'd be a lot closer.

Hanno and Philipp know more, but I think it's reasonably close.

> We do explicit acquisition in those bits of code, but it's still a pain
> and leads to confusion around self.context in views being
> acquisition-wrapped weirdly, breaking some expectations around aq_parent.

And other bizarre things sometimes.

> The way to get rid of many of these problems would be to get rid of the
> need for acquisition. Philipp started a branch long ago that allows the
> acquisition system to look at a __parent__ pointer if no acquisition
> wrapper is present. Since our views have __parent__ pointers, this
> should fix the issue. This branch has been lingering in an "almost
> ready" state for a long time now.

Ah, great minds think alike. ;)

Martin