[Zope-dev] Re: Proposal: Merge philikon-aq branch into Zope trunk

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Apr 18 13:39:00 EDT 2008

Martin Aspeli wrote:
> Hanno Schlichting wrote:
>> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>> This sounds good. Here's another idea, though: In accordance with
>>> "release early and often", how about scheduling the 2.12 release
>>> shortly after the 2.11 one? So the only "new" thing in 2.12 would be
>>> the philikon-aq branch (it would still ship with the same Zope 3
>>> libraries as 2.11, etc.).
>>
>> I suspect we want to do something about the eggification story of Zope
>> 2 for Zope 2.12 as well. Figuring out the approach and documenting it
>> might take some additional time. I don't see that releasing another
>> Zope 2.13 shortly after 2.12 makes a lot of sense.
>
> Why don't we get started on that, too, then?
>
> I think eggification of Zope 2 is relatively easy, and most of the
> necessary R&D has already been done. In fact, a lot of the eggs exist
> already.
>
> I wonder if Philipp would be amenable to writing a proposal on this, and
> get Chris McDonough's input.

IMO, a Zope2 egg release should depend on the following packages:

- 'ZODB3' (already packaged)

- 'transaction' (depended on by newer ZODBs)

- 'ZConfig' (also depended on by newer ZODBs)

- 'StructuredText' (should be broken out into its own egg)

- 'docutils' (should use existing egg)

- 'mechanize' (should use existing egg)

- 'pytz' (should use existing egg)

- all zope.* packages (properly pinned) that zope2 depends on

The actual top-level egg that depends on these things would contain all the
other packages depended on by Zope 2 (e.g. DateTime, Missing, Products/*,
Acquisition, ExtensionClass, ZPublisher, ZServer, etc).  We might call it
'zope2libs'.  What needs to get worked out is the ability to share headers
between ZODB and this package so things can compile properly.

- C