[Zope-dev] Re: Let's fix the damned website

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Apr 19 19:21:23 EDT 2008

Maerteijn wrote:
> I'm thinking about volunteering for the zope2 section, but I already can say
> that I'm not an expert on all facets of zope2. However, helping out is the
> main concern now so something is better than nothing.

Absolutely. I don't think you need to be an expert to do a good job. In
fact, I think it's much better if you're not an expert and know how to
present something for non-experts.

> I'm doubting about what to write / have examples for etc., as you can do a
> lot of zope3 technology in zope2 already, however there are some zope2 only
> things which should be mentioned as well (Plain Products, SimpleItem, tabs
> for ZMI, TTW development etc.), or should we really focus on the zope3
> technology only?

There is a Zope 3 section, so I suggest we focus on the stuff that's
unique to Zope 2, but explain where the Zope 3 stuff fits in.

> Taking the examples on worldcookery examples' as a base and
> pointing out the difference between the platforms is maybe a good idea. Does
> someone have a good vision how to structure this or have some concrete
> idea's?

That may be useful. I think the key question should be "why would I want
to use Zope 2, and how do I use it?"

> BTW : I see some people refer to something called "the Zope libraries", but
> for me it's unclear what is exactly meant by that (except "zope3
> technology"). I think that a clear definition would help.

The phrase is being worked into the zope.org text to try and explain to
a non-Zope historian the role of the numerous Zope 3 packages that are
just as useful in Zope 2/CMF/Plone/Python development as they are in a
"Zope 3 only" environment.

The fact that "Zope 3" is not a successor to "Zope 2" and that the two
intermix significantly is probably the most difficult story we have to
tell. From a Zope 2 perspective, it also says something about that
platform being still relevant even as Zope 3 goes into version 3.4 and
beyond.

The Venn diagram at http://zode01.lovelysystems.com/projects illustrates
this concept.

Martin