[Zope-dev] paver: buildout is utterly doomed

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Apr 22 09:44:57 EDT 2008

Hi there,

I just found out about this site:

http://www.blueskyonmars.com/projects/paver/

I know that the author has used buildout in the past. He apparently
decided to roll his own.

I have no idea what the technical qualities of paver are. To get your
attention, let me spell out a strongly worded and opinionated message
nonetheless:

zc.buildout is toast. It's on the way out now. Paver is going to compete
it away and buildout is doomed to be a niche project only used by weird
zope people.

That's strongly worded. I'll admit it's drastically overstated. It's
based on virtually no technical information! But that's exactly how many
programmers will judge the projects: on community aspects, and not
primarily technical.

Paver has this in its favor:

* Paver actually has a nice website that speaks to Python programmers of
simplicity. zc.buildout has cheeseshop page with a lot of doctest
documentation people have said was hard to understand. (including the
author of paver!)

* the author is well connected in the Python community. I'd say
TurboGears and Pylons people are likely to go for Paver.

* it's *already* showing up on programmer's sites like
programming.reddit.com, where I just found it. Nobody bothers to link to
buildout, as there's no easily digestable message about it available.

So, I fear very much that this, or some other alternative, will wash
away the undoubtedly more feature-rich and technically robust
zc.buildout, if buildout doesn't present itself better. Without better
presentation, fast, buildout is doomed to be a Zope-specific thing forever.

You Can Save Buildout!

So, who is up to make a nice clean looking website and a few tutorials
for buildout? It needs a website. Buildout has been around for a few
years without a proper website already, Paver for 5 minutes and it's got
one. I'm not going to do it, but someone should.

Just to be sure, I certainly *won't* be doing this. Jim won't either,
and I don't expect it from him. Let him write great code, not make
websites. So don't sit back and hope someone else will do it, as they
won't. If nobody else can bother to step up, Paver probably deserves to
win. If you're intereested, I think we already have a nice buildout for
deploying grok.zope.org that can probably be adapted. The repoze people
have a nice site too, so you could go ask there.

Alternatively we start to figure out how to convert our buildouts to
Paver. :)

Regards,

Martijn