[Zope-dev] Re: paver: buildout is utterly doomed

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Apr 22 19:39:58 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:

> You Can Save Buildout!
>
> So, who is up to make a nice clean looking website and a few tutorials
> for buildout? It needs a website. Buildout has been around for a few
> years without a proper website already, Paver for 5 minutes and it's got
> one. I'm not going to do it, but someone should.

IMHO, we could feasibly fit this into
http://zode01.lovelysystems.com/projects if someone wants to own the
content and the Zope Foundation doesn't mind. If people prefer it to be
separate, that'd be fine of course.

I think it'd take:

  - a quick overview
  - an install guide
  - a couple of deeper examples
  - a few pages of documentation

> Just to be sure, I certainly *won't* be doing this. Jim won't either,
> and I don't expect it from him. Let him write great code, not make
> websites. So don't sit back and hope someone else will do it, as they
> won't.

This is all too true and goes for the zope.org revitilisation efforts
too. I've promised to help shepherd and provide infrastructure, but we
need people to write content now. :)

> If nobody else can bother to step up, Paver probably deserves to
> win. If you're intereested, I think we already have a nice buildout for
> deploying grok.zope.org that can probably be adapted. The repoze people
> have a nice site too, so you could go ask there.

The Paver site seems based on the doc generation thing that the new docs
on python.org use.

> Alternatively we start to figure out how to convert our buildouts to
> Paver. :)

I'd argue that the build system isn't quite as important as all that. We
should ensure our packages work properly any setuptools-capable
environment. Building and deployment will always be project-specific to
a certain extent.

However, I think we (including Plone) have a lot vested in zc.buildout
and I think it is worth presenting it in the proper way.

Martin