[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope.org Redux] Re: Let's fix the damned website

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Wed Apr 23 17:00:04 EDT 2008

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> Martins answer doens't seem to have arrived here, so sorry for the
> weird quoting:
>
>> On 21 Apr 2008, at 11:53 , Martin Aspeli wrote:
>>> Does it really matter whether a microsite lives in
>>> zope.org/projects/zodb or zodb.zope.org?
>
> As mentioned, no.But it's important that it is it's own site, running
> it's own version of the software, so that it can be maintained
> seperately without having to upgrade all of zope.org.

... or die slowly because no-one has the capacity to maintain it.

>>  I agree with Martin. We need to stop the balkanization of Zope-the-brand.
>> Yes, we have many individual projects, but we need a coherent image to the
>> outside world. Microsites was a good idea to get foundation site and the
>> Grok site up and running *before* tackling zope.org, but in the long run, we
>> need coherence.
>>
>>  Also, to be honest, I don't find the design of the new Grok website very
>> attractive. And the foundation site is simple enough to be folded back into
>> the main site.
>
> I understand these points, but I repeat one last time: Zope.org has
> been in dire need of upgrade for more than five years. It got one in
> the beginning of this, and that produced a zope.org that wasn't very
> much better, and since then, nothing happened. The main reason for
> failure is that it is a monolithic gigant.
>
> Don't make that mistake again.
>
> Please.

No-one wants a giant site. Also, no-one wants a site with any complex
bespoke software behind it.

I think we can put this site live when we have about 20 pages of
content. Then it can grow if it needs to, but not a lot. If one project
really starts generating a ton of stuff and wants to add more
functionality to the site, they will posssibly want to spin off a
separate site. I don't see that happening any time soon, though, except
possibly for Grok.

Martin