[Zope-dev] Re: Zope2 interfaces delenda est!

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Sun Apr 27 22:14:44 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:
>>
>> Wichert Akkerman wrote:

>>> Isn't the policy to deprecate in release N and remove in N+2?
>> They've been deprecated for five years.
>
> I agree that they've been deprecated for years, so that shouldn't need
> to hold anything up. That said, the consensus seems to be to only remove
> them from the trunk, as Zope 2.11 in a stabilization phase. Removing
> them from the trunk means at least progress.

I have checked in the changes on a new branch, made from the 2.11 branch
as of today:

  http://svn.zope.org/Zope/branches/tseaver-2.11-no-z2-interfaces

The intent is to merge the code only to the trunk (*not* to the 2.11
branch) from here.  However, outside projects (CMF, Plone, Silva, etc.)
could begin testing against that branch to find the breakage they need
to repair.

While excising the cruft, I noted a bunch of other cleanups which would
make the code more habitable:

 - Consolidate interface definitions into the 'interfaces' module
   (or package) from current separate modules in ZCTextIndex, Sessions,
   and Transience products.

 - Clean up a bunch of crufty unit tests, again mostly in the products.

I have the merge to the trunk done in my sandbox, and will likely check
it in tomorrow unless somebody finds a timebomb.  The merge went cleanly
via:

  $ svn co $ZSVN/Zope/trunk Zope-trunk
  $ cd Zope-trunk
  $ svn merge -r 85793:85794 \
    $ZSVN/Zope/branches/tseaver-2.11-no-z2-interfaces
  $ make clobber inplace
  $ /path/to/python test.py --all
  Total: 6592 tests, 0 failures, 0 errors in 26.892 seconds.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com