[Zope-dev] Re: bad "zope.size" to remove from PyPI

Aaron Lehmann aaron at zope.com
Mon Aug 4 00:37:58 EDT 2008

On Aug 2, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Benji York wrote:
>>> In case anybody's wondering how this complies with our "no removal
>>> of any
>>> release whatsoever" policy [1], be assured that a 3.4dev-r73090
>>> thing isn't
>>> a release by our standards. This version number not only contains
>>> the 'dev'
>>> marker, meaning it must have come from a development branch
>>> (possibly the
>>> trunk), it also contains the -rXXX suffix meaning it was made
>>> right from a
>>> subversion checkout without having created a tags first (why else
>>> would you
>>> want to include the revision number).
>> Still, it's likely that someone was using it and their buildouts
>> are now
>> broken.  We should have instead generated a proper release with a
>> higher
>> version number and left the dev release alone.
>
> This is silly.
>
> Mistakes happen. Buildout and/or setuptools should be tolerant of
> accidental releases that are then removed from PyPI.
>
> What currently happens in cases like this?

If the buildout is nailed to that version or above, and there is none,
it breaks.  Worse, if someone now adds another egg of the same
version, but consumers have cached a version, their buildout won't
download it, because it will already have that version in cache.  I
realize that this particular compound error is unlikely to happen in
this instance, but the principle holds.

Yes, mistakes happen.  What Benji is saying is that deletion is not
the right way to remedy them, as unintuitive as that may seem.

Aaron Lehmann