[Zope-dev] ZODB3 3.9.0-dev-r77011 egg?!

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Fri Aug 22 10:24:51 EDT 2008

Hi there,

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>
>> The Grok project actually make this stuff (pinning down versions, etc)
>> easy.
>
> How does it do this?

It has a tool similar to zopeproject called 'grokproject' to help set
up the buildout, which is described on grok.zope.org in multiple
places. We make sure we nail down a versions list that we have per
release of Grok and is automatically downloaded for you. We take a lot
of care that grokproject works. That doesn't mean it's perfect, but
it's likely to actually make a sensible install for people without
them having to worry too much about various details.

>> If you want this to work out of the box, Zope 3 isn't the best way to go.
>> You install grokproject and it ought to just work. If not, let us know.
>
> Yes, but grok is another framework. I just wanted to get the minimum "Zope
> 3" stuff up and running so I could test a view.

Grok includes Zope 3 (and is just a few extra packages). You can do
all your ZCML-related testing of Zope 3 stuff with Grok just fine.
Grok is probably the easiest way to get Zope 3 installed. In fact you
don't have to write any grok-related code whatsoever in your Grok
project - throw away the one .py and .pt that Grok project generates
and just keep your configure.zcml.

The only thing that is different is that Grok's publication turns off
some Zope 3 security proxies, so you don't have to declare security
for your classes. (eventually we will probably gain something like
this back in some fashion). This actually probably makes more testing
easier, not harder. :)

Regards,

Martijn