[Zope-dev] "zipped" versus "unzipped" eggs (was: Re: SVN: Zope2.buildout/trunk/ Don't pin setuptools.)

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 12:20:50 EDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
> However, I am not sure whether our observations for a single
> large zip (in fact, we use two: one for our application, the other for Python's
> runtime library) is valid for the case of many small zipped eggs.

The single-large-zip and the many-small-zips are distinctly different;
the zip-import support was intended to support the single-large-zip
(or small-number-of-zips) cases.  Having many small zips is not a win
at all.  (Don't recall if there's a real penalty over many unzipped
directories.)

 -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at gmail.com>