[Zope-dev] z3c.autoinclude doesn't include extra_requires

Ethan Jucovy ejucovy at openplans.org
Sat Dec 6 23:49:31 EST 2008

Hey Christian,

I finally had a bit of time to sort out my Zope.org SVN credentials
and try to look into this ... but I'm actually not getting very far.

What I'm stumped on: is there any way to find out which "extras" have
been installed with a package?

The details:
The bad line is src/z3c/autoinclude/dependency.py#L22:
>        for req in self.context.requires():

(Here self.context is a distribution object, that of the module that
wants to <includeDependencies>.  We're about to look for ZCML files in
the packages of its dependencies.)

The pkg_resources documentation
(http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources#distribution-objects)
explains:
> requires(extras=())
>   List the Requirement objects that specify this distribution's dependencies. If extras is specified, it should be a sequence
>   of names of "extras" defined by the distribution, and the list returned will then include any dependencies needed to
>   support the named "extras".

So in other words, L22 should look like:
+        for req in
self.context.requires(extras=list_of_actively_installed_extras_for_the_distribution):

The problem is, I can't figure out how to figure out which extras are
actively installed.  (We don't want to pass in *all* of the
distribution's extras, because that might include *uninstalled* extras
-- which would mean we end up trying to include ZCML from packages
that we should not be, and that might not even be installed.)

Thanks,
Ethan