[Zope-dev] [Checkins] SVN: zc.sourcefactory/trunk/buildout.cfg color by default

Zvezdan Petkovic zvezdan at zope.com
Mon Dec 8 12:37:55 EST 2008

On Dec 8, 2008, at 10:56 AM, Benji York wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 2:22 AM, Michael Howitz <mh at gocept.com> wrote:
>> Log message for revision 93766:
>> color by default
>
> This setting apparently causes problems for people who use Emacs, so
> for zope. and zc. packages at least, we don't use --auto-color.

That argument is really lame.
Should we now go back to VT100 terminals because _some_ Emacs users
are annoyed that ANSI colors break their shell window display?

They should read about ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on and add-hook.
There are probably other ways to do this.

It is equally annoying when _some_ Emacs users leave lines filled with
nothing but spaces all over the Zope code base.  Yet, nobody asked for
a rule that would somehow prevent that.

The Emacs users can easily prevent these spaces by setting
show-trailing-whitespace in python-mode-hook or simply using
delete-trailing-whitespace from time to time.
Setting next-line-add-newlines to nil in the .emacs file is also a
good idea.

Anyway, why enforce an ancient terminal style on all of us when Emacs
users could actually set their shell window style?