[Zope-dev] C-extension in zope.i18nmessageid

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Fri Dec 12 07:19:32 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:28, Malthe Borch <mborch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've branched out this package and removed the C-extension. It's not
> documented in the package why a C-extension is needed or alternatively,
> what it benefits.

The C extension is required to make messageids immutable. Because they
are immutable, the security machinery can treat them as rocks, e.g.
safe to pass around. Removing the C-extension undoes this, as you
cannot make truely immutable. See the original proposal:

  http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/TurningMessageIDsIntoRocks

I'm sure Phillip and Jim can clarify the security implications of
undoing this work.

--
Martijn Pieters