[Zope-dev] Zope 3.4.0 candidate 1 Released

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Feb 1 09:42:41 EST 2008

Tom Hoffman wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
>> I'll take a risk by stating the obvious.
>>
>>  If there will continue to be a release schedule for "Zope 3, the appserver" It
>>  would reduce confusion to new users greatly to give the appserver release a name
>>  other than Zope.
>>
>>  Eg.
>>
>>  Current name              Proposed name
>>  ------------              -------------
>>  "Zope2"                -> Zope
>>  "Zope3, the libraries" -> Zope libraries
>>  "Zope3 the appserver"  -> Frobnozz
>
> Isn't this release sort of the last of its kind, though?  Kind of a
> weird time for a name change

I've heard that rumored, but there's nothing indicating that in the release
announcement.  There are forward looking statements in there: "tarballs... for
the last 3.4 series and probably for 3.5 as well."  I take this to mean that
there's an intention to have a 3.5, 3.6, 3.7 release, etc, but past 3.5, the
release won't be packaged as a tarball.  If this is the case, even if it's just
for 3.5, it would sure help reduce confusion to give this "release of packages"
(even if it's just a buildout and the KGS for that release) a name other than
"Zope".

> Or if not, it would seem like there would be a better argument for the
> new approach having a new name than the old one.

I'm not sure which is "the new approach" and which is the "old one"?

- C