[Zope-dev] Re: [Checkins] SVN: zope.server/trunk/s fix of 599 error on conflict error in request

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Wed Feb 6 02:04:14 EST 2008

Hi,

Dieter Maurer schrieb:
> Christian Theune wrote at 2008-2-4 13:23 +0100:
>> +        # agroszer: 2008.feb.1.: currently the above seems not to be true
>> +        # request will KEEP the response on close()
>> +        # even more if a retry occurs in the publisher,
>> +        # the response will be LOST, so we must accept the returned request
>> +        request = publish(request)
>> +        return request.response.getResult()
>> Same comment as previously, please avoid this style of annotation.
>
> I disagree with you.
>
> Commenting difficult code passages which can easily be seen
> as overly complex if one does not look carefully is a *very* good
> idea.
>
> Especially in this case, I find the explanation vital why
> "response" is recomputed rather than the already known "response" used.

I haven't been clear enough about what I meant with `style of annotation`.

IMHO this issue should have a bug number. The bug number should be
annotated instead of a name and a date, stating the issue in short and
making it possible to lookup discussion and proceeding of this bug in
the tracker.

>> Also,
>> it doesn't look like the issue is actually finally resolved as you say
>> `seems`.
>
> Better specify explicitely when one is not absolute sure.

That's what bugtracking is for.

>> SVN tracks who edited what and when, the statement of your name and the
>> change date isn't necessary.
>
> But when one looks at the code, it is not easy to find out which
> SVN revision produced this code -- unless you look through the complete
> history.

svn (praise|blame) tells you by whom and in which revision a line of
code was changed last time.

Christian

--
gocept gmbh & co. kg - forsterstrasse 29 - 06112 halle (saale) - germany