[Zope-dev] buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Feb 23 09:49:32 EST 2008

On Feb 23, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Christophe Combelles wrote:
> I don't have enough experience with all the use cases of buildout
> and the develop-eggs, but at a first glance, I find it more logical
> to give priority to 'develop':
> 'develop' is supposed to point to a real path containing a setup.py,
> so when defining a develop-egg, you clearly indicate that you want
> *that* path, whathever version this develop-egg defines.

That is the philosophy that buildout takes. That's why, when picking
versions, buildout prefers develop eggs over newer non-develop eggs.
However, buildout will only use a develop egg if it satisfies stated
requirements.  As it stands today, specifying a version in a versions
section is like stating a == requirement in a setup script or in a
eggs option.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton