[Zope-dev] Re: buildout 'versions' and 'develop' conflict

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Feb 26 10:59:26 EST 2008

Hey,

Thanks everybody for this discussion. I'm going to bail out now, and I
want to share some of my conclusions:

* We're going to have to live with the current 'versions/develop' story
for a while. I've started try to document the existing behavior in
buildout's doctests (faassen-develop) branch. I'll also document it for
Grok.

* It would be nice if there was some way to override dependency
constraints: point at a (development) package and give it a special
version number that *always* satisfies all dependency constraints and is
*always* the most specific package to do so.

* All this makes me think again about the topic of dependency constraint
resolution with special override nodes (also in relation to the addition
of 'or' constraints to setuptools).

* Doing a good dependency constraint resolution needs extensions to the
cheeseshop: as I understand it, no dependency information is online
right now and the package needs to be downloaded in order to inspect it.
Basically it'd be nice if the egg_info directory was published for each
release.

Regards,

Martijn