[Zope-dev] Re: [Plone-developers] PAULA: bringing Zope 3's authentication to Plone and beyond

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Sat Jul 12 05:45:14 EDT 2008

On Jul 12, 2008, at 03:04 , Florian Friesdorf wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 10:56:19PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> The one thing I am missing is: why?
>
> Well, Zope moved onwards from PAS to PAU

Huh? Zope 2 uses PAS. The Zope 3 folks have attempted to come up with
a similar solution, but it's lagging in functionality and finish. Just
because Zope 3 sprouts a similar technology to what Zope 2 is using
does not automatically imply "Zope moves onwards to X". And it hasn't.

> - we should use as much as possible of Zope3 and avoid custom
> solutions,
>  increasing the mutual benefit of all Zope3-based projects.

I call BS here. PAS is not a "custom solution", it's much more of a
standard than PAU is.

The question remains, "why?". You're reinventing wheels for Zope 2
that do not need to be reinvented. One day when PAU has indeed
surpassed PAS in terms of functionality and plugins then it may make
sense. But not now.

jens