[Zope-dev] Re: [Plone-developers] PAULA: bringing Zope 3's authentication to Plone and beyond

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sun Jul 13 10:39:31 EDT 2008

Martin quoting me:

> > I was referring to the thread at
> > http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-pas/2004-September/000086.html,
> > entitled "[Zope-PAS] Challengers (and Zope 3)"

> Sorry, I may've gotten my history mixed up a little here, but in any
> case, I think the point remains: no-one's said (nor not said) that PAS
> is to be deprecated in favour of PAU in a Zope 2/CMF/Plone context at
> least. So I don't think you missed that. ;-)

Thanks for the clarification.

However, while not wanting to extend this debate any more than necessary,
I'm still wondering if *my* point remains valid in the broader "zope x"
context:

Is PAS still alive and preferred for Zope3?  Or more generally, is there any
reasonable strategy for sticking with PAS in Zope2 while also keeping the
door open to Zope3?  I hope so - but I fear that for fairly obscure reasons
Zope2 and Zope3 have diverged in this specific area, in a way that isn't in
the long term interests of people investing in Zope technologies...

Again, I add the disclaimer that my zope3 knowledge is less than - err -
ideal <wink>, so it is likely I'm talking out of my proverbial, but I'm
interested nonetheless...

Cheers,

Mark