[Zope-dev] Re: repoze.bfg

Malthe Borch mborch at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 16:05:41 EDT 2008

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> So basically you felt Zope 3 wasn't a good match for Vudo, in the
> sense that the normal browser:page wasn't really want you wanted
> either, right? Similar to the way you could extend Zope 3 with your
> own new ZCML directives to set up the way you'd like views to work
> (I'm not sure whether you're doing this), you could as well extend
> Grok with your own new grokkers.

Correct. And we did create a new directive to define layouts.

I actually  think ZCML is very suitable when you're configuring stuff
that hasn't to do with code. Whether it's good for configuring code is
for another discussion.

> I just didn't want Grok singled out here - I don't to leave people
> with the impression that Grok locks them into a certain approach any
> more than Zope 3-the-application-framework does; I don't believe it
> does. Of course Zope 3-the-libraries leave the options more open,
> witness this thread. The various grok libraries (martian,
> grokcore.component) should be seen as part of this wider ecosystem as
> well.

That's a good point. Certainly Grok proves to be quite flexible, but
it's still very centralized on defining a set of components and have
them automatically glued together.

I think Grokkish ideas will make much sense in Vudo *applications*. For
the framework code I'm a bit more conversative.

> I hope that some of your explorations concerning layouts could be
> plugged into Grok as a library eventually.

The layout stuff is definitely easy to reuse and I think Brandon already
has a good grasp on how it might fit in. The key idea with
``vudo.layout`` is that you can just plug in HTML and have it work.

\malthe