[Zope-dev] Re: [Repoze-dev] repoze.bfg

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Thu Jul 17 18:29:11 EDT 2008

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Chris McDonough wrote:
>> I had planned to create another package named repoze.lemonade which:
>>   - Did indexing of content.
>
> What were you thinking of for indexing?  Just catalog stuff?  More general?

I was considering just using zope.index but I haven't really thought much about
it yet.

> There's been a tension in the opencore stuff with the catalog, mostly
> that it's easy to setup and use for things, but it doesn't really work
> for things outside of the ZODB.  Or, I guess theoretically you could
> catalog things not in the ZODB, but it's never happened.

IMO, mostly it's a matter of deciding what "index" and "catalog" means for
searching.  If you only need full-text search, some indexing systems are totally
inappropriate.  Likewise, if you only need "field" indexes that match just one
particular value, it's sometimes vastly simpler just to come up with your own
system based on, e.g. a relational table, than it is to try to use somebody
else's "indexer" or "catalog".

> That said, there's a real need for cross-system indexing of different
> kinds.  There's text search indexes, but other kinds of more strict
> indexes also make sense.  It would be very handy to have an index that
> wasn't tied to the ZODB, a database, or anything else.  (It could be
> implemented using the ZODB or a database, of course.)

Xapian seems like a good choice too.  It has its own persistence mechanism and
reasonable Python bindings (although from experience maybe slightly memory-leaky).

- C