[Zope-dev] Re: buildout failures

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Sat Jun 14 10:53:37 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 03:55:24PM +0200, Christian Theune wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 02:29:52PM +0200, Christophe Combelles wrote:
> >> Most projects use a separate list for such emails. I think that's a
> >> good idea.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is a good idea. If the mails are annoying anyways
> then they're not the right tool. Putting them on a different list I fear that
> they'll be ignored anyways.

Not by everyone, but yes, fewer people will see them.

> Otherwise the mails should probably go here to remind people in a reasonable
> fashion. Aggregation sounds like a reasonable thing.

I'd rather have separate emails.  Now it's very convenient to open each
email individually and hit the end key to see the actual failure.  If
multiple failures were aggregated in a single email, I'd have to page
through all of it to find the relevant bits interspersed with the boring
bits.

> > or is it possible to group the alerts in a digest instead of sending
> > several messages?
>
> buildbot's standard MailNotifier doesn't have those capabilities. It's pretty
> simple.
>
> I'm curious how we aggregate the mails from the other buildbot.

I seem to remember Steve Alexander writing a separate Python script to
do that.

Marius Gedminas
--
Westheimer's Discovery:
        A couple of months in the laboratory can