[Zope-dev] Re: SQLAlchemy integration experiment

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jun 17 08:33:49 EDT 2008

Hi there,

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Brian Sutherland
<brian at vanguardistas.net> wrote:
[snip]
> Just commenting that IDatabase.engine is not used by any code external
> to the Database object. There's no use case for it to be public.

While I am not sure we have a strong use case for engine anyway, I
like methods that people can implement to affect behavior (especially
when subclassing) to be public. I don't feel comfortable implementing
something that starts with an underscore.

[snip]
>> [snip]
>>> As Laurence has suggested, the session persists, so
>>> IDatabase.configuration will only be called once per thread. Not sure if
>>> creating one new engine per thread is bad.
>>
>> I don't know either. I've assumed that one wouldn't want to recreate the
>> engine for each thread, but perhaps that's fine and we don't break any,
>> say, connection pooling mechanisms that way? I do not know.
>
> Unfortunately I don't either...

I'll ask Mike Bayer.

Regards,

Martijn