[Zope-dev] Re: Extend specification of how to maintain the changelog

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Wed Jun 18 13:34:28 EDT 2008

On Jun 18, 2008, at 19:27 , yuppie wrote:
>> That's not the only audience. I as a developer consult CHANGES.txt
>> to (hopefully) find *all* changes on the respective branch or on
>> the trunk that have flowed into it until now.
>
> Can't developers use the subversion history?

It's much quicker to look at the change log, and when you work with
tarballs there's no subversion history. So no, that's not a good
"replacement" for my uses.

>> I'm not sure what you're saying in that last paragraph. Copying a
>> change history isn't needed when you're diligent about updating the
>> change log whenever you make actual trunk changes.
>
> Sorry. I was referring to the current Zope 2 (and CMF) policy:
>
> "Note that you don't need to note the fix in the CHANGES.txt on the
> trunk if you don't want to. At the time a new feature release is
> made, we merge the items in CHANGES.txt from the trunk and current
> release branch so that for any given release it notes the actual
> changes as of that release." http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Subversion/ZopeDevelopmentProcess

I think I have done some of that merging once in a while, but always
in a haphazard fashion and did not know about the URL you provided. I
personally dislike that, and would strongly favor noting every change
on the trunk as it is checked in, just like you would do on the branch.

jens