[Zope-dev] Re: Extend specification of how to maintain the changelog

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Thu Jun 19 08:37:56 EDT 2008

On Jun 19, 2008, at 13:36 , yuppie wrote:

> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>> On Jun 19, 2008, at 12:32 , yuppie wrote:
>>> There is always *one* well defined current maintenance branch.
>>> Version numbering *does* imply a time line if you ignore old
>>> maintenance branches. It's not hard at all to get this right.
>> I don't think that assumption holds true. Again, using the CMF as
>> an example, there were times when we had 3 release branches. I
>> don't want to start a discussion why that was or how to prevent
>> that from happening, I'm just saying it's not correct to say you
>> always have just one maintenance branch. And that's where all those
>> fancy schemes fall down.
>
> You did get me wrong :(
>
> I tried to make a distinction between the current maintenance branch
> (= branch for maintaining the *current* release) and old maintenance
> branches (= branches for maintaining older release). If someone
> knows better terms, please let me know.
>
> The *current* version of CMF is 2.1.1. If you release CMF 1.6.5 with
> some backports from the 2.1 branch, it will not become the *current*
> CMF release. As soon as CMF 2.2.0 is released it will become the
> current release and the 2.2 branch the current maintenance branch. No?

Sorry, you're right, I realized I did get you wrong after sending my
reply. As always ;-)

I do have one last question, though (unless I misunderstand something,
again): In my understanding, we're now down to a single policy
difference, about the point in time when you want the trunk CHANGES
file updated. You're still saying it will only ever be fully updated
when the current release branch changes are merged in, probably just
before creating a new release branch, right?  I still don't see an
advantage in pushing this CHANGES maintenance on the trunk to the
release manager as opposed to every developer maintaining it
concurrently with the release branch CHANGES file. I personally would
much rather see all changes that are on the trunk to be reflected in
its CHANGES file at all times.

jens