[Zope-dev] Re: buildout on Windows

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Jun 20 19:50:08 EDT 2008

Chris Withers wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I'm trying to run a plone-ish buildout on Windows for a customer,
> currently getting this:
>
> creating zope.proxy
> copying zope/proxy\proxy.h -> zope.proxy
> error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
> extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible
> binaries.
> Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin
> installed,
> you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.
> While:
>    Installing zope2.
>
> Do binary eggs exist for zope.proxy and friends?
> If not, how do I build 'em and upload them for others to use?
>
> If they do exist, how do I get buildout to use them rather than trying
> to build from source on my system?

buildout will use binary eggs if they exist and match the version spec,
so you may want a [version] block. However:

  - if you really are installing zope2, then I wonder why it's trying to
download zope.proxy. This is possibly a case of egg dependencies gone
wrong, and you may want to look at plone.recipe.zope2install and its
"fake eggs" optoin

  - you probably want to do what the error message says and install
mingw32. look at http://plone.org/documentation/tutorial/buildout for
some instructions on how to prepare for building zope in wintendo.

Martin