[Zope-dev] Looking for Google Summer of Code mentors!

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Mon Mar 3 11:42:55 EST 2008

Hi there,

We are quickly approaching the Google of Summer of code again. The Zope
Foundation's application needs to be in soon.

In order to do a good application, we need to have a good selection of
mentors. So, if you're a Zope developer and you want to mentor a student
this summer, please add yourself to the list here:

http://wiki.zope.org/gsoc/SummerOfCode2008

Don't wait: the Zope Foundation's application needs to be in *very* soon
(by the 11th of march). The more mentors we have the better a chance we
stand in getting projects accepted.

Being a mentor isn't difficult and it can be very rewarding. All four of
the students involved in the summer of code (Paul Carduner who worked on
ajax for z3c.form, Nikhil N who worked on Zope 3 python 2.5 support, Uli
Fouquet who worked on Grok's introspection UI and Luciano Ramalho who
worked on a Grok-based application) are still active in our community,
which we consider a great success!

Being mentor is a privilege, and also a responsibility. We do expect
mentors to stay in regular touch with their students. This means email
and normal involvement on project mailing lists, but also in addition to
this a weekly hour or so on irc and/or voice. We also have a few simple
reporting requirements so that your mentor coordinator (yours truly)
knows what's up and can solve any potential problems.

Sign up and become a mentor!

Everybody else (including mentors, students and others):

* suggest projects, also on the same wiki page

* suggest other mentors. Tell people who you *want* to be mentors to
sign up. Everybody likes to be told they can be mentors, so tell them in
public and get them to sign up.

Students:

* Mark the sign-up period on your calendar: it starts march 24. If we
get accepted, then is the time to sign up.

Regards,

Martijn