[Zope-dev] Reducing dependencies of zope.publisher

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Mar 21 10:46:47 EDT 2008

I'd like reduce the barrier of entry for using the Zope 3 zope
publisher.  Right now, it has quite a few dependencies setuptools,
zope.component, zope.event, zope.exceptions, zope.i18n,
zope.interface, zope.location, zope.proxy, zope.security,
zope.deprecation, and zope.deferredimport.   This seems a bit
extreme.  I can get rid of zope.deprecation and zope.deferredimport
directly.  I'd like to get rid of more.

I'm thinking of creating a separate package that contains much of the
guts of zope.publisher, but without most or all of the existing
dependencies.  I'd then modify zope.publisher to import code from this
other package, adding the bits that exist now that cause the
dependencies.

This new package would a number of things, including skin support,
xmlrpc support, mapply, interface declarations and various view base
classes that now live in zope.publisher.

Thoughts? Objections?

Jim

--
Jim Fulton