[Zope-dev] Packaging Zope for Fedora

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Mar 21 15:09:51 EDT 2008

Hi,

speaking as the Zope 2 release manager: I am strongly opposed against
splitting Zope
yourself into different packages and modules. With Zope 2 depending from
various Zope 3 packages (roughly 80-90) we have already the situation to
keep track which packages belong together. This will become even more
complicated when each Zope 3 package will have its own life-cycle.
I doubt that you as a package can keep track in a reliable way with those
requirements. It is somewhat hard for me to follow. So why can't you leave
the Zope source packages as they are? Splitting up Zope into even more
packages is even more error-prone.  Re-packaged Zope distributions always
raised more problems in the past than they really solved. The deployment
for Zope-based applications is nowadays based on zc.buildout. Serious
solutions providers never go with distribution-specific packages.

Andreas

--On 21. März 2008 11:57:31 -0700 Timothy Selivanow