[Zope-dev] Re: Reducing dependencies of zope.publisher

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sun Mar 23 15:02:20 EDT 2008

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2008, at 2:27 PM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> No-more so than the existing publisher.  I just want to make the
>>> publisher useful for small applications that don't need the
>>> component  architecture and other facilities that zope.publisher
>>> depends on for  mostly minor reasons.
>> This is of course a good goal in itself, though I'm curious how it
>> compares to the Repoze publisher and its "obob" machinery?
>

> Me too.  I have a hard time figuring out what repoze is and I don't
> necessarily want to go swimming to find out. :) Is the repose
> publisher described somewhere?
>
> I would like to create a 21st-century Bobo and this minimal publisher
> is part of that plan.  If I create a new Bobo, I want it's
> requirements to be minimal.  I don't want to depend on something as
> big as repoze seems to be.

I think Repoze is a collection of many very small parts, rather than a
very big whole. To me (i.e. to Plone), it's a way to deploy Zope 2
applications (Plone) in a WSGI way with pipelines and filters and all
the rest of it. Repoze is also splitting out some of the useful bits of
a monolithic Zope into re-usable middleware, including virtual hosting,
transaction co-ordination, retry, and profiling.

I suspect that the reason the Repoze guys ended up rewriting the Zope 2
publisher is that it was too monolithic to support deployment as a WSGI
application.

Anyway, I'm sure Chris and Tres can give better answers. ;)

You may find http://blog.repoze.org/sixmonthsofrepoze.html a short and
useful overview.

Martin