[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope 2.12] Eggification of Zope 2 - pros and cons?

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Mar 25 04:44:22 EDT 2008

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>> Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
>>> I'm not sure this is all that useful. For Plone 4, we're just going to
>>> have a number of plone.*, plone.app.* and Products.* (and a few others,
>>> like kss.*) eggs that we can put in a KGS or version pin in a single
>>> "Plone" egg.
>> For Plone 4 we may also collapse all the plone.app.* packages in a
>> single package.
>
> +sys.maxint

This is slightly off-topic here, but I think the arguments are roughly:

  - Single package makes it easier for the release manager: only one
thing to release and test

  - Single package is a bit safer, lest people get their versions messed
up somehow and create an incompatible environment

  - Multiple packages makes it a easier for people who know what they're
doing to "backport" a single package into an earlier Plone version or
run an experimental (develop egg/trunk) package for a time, without
having to do this with the entire plone.app namespace.

I suspect similar arguments would apply to Zope, except that the Zope 2
distribution is more stable than Plone's and backporting is likely to be
less of an issue. Still, I've upgraded Five and ZopeTestCase more than
once in the past. :)

Martin